December 30th, 2013 Miguel A. Delgado Jr, MD
Reception at Marin County
San Francisco, California-With the same quality of concierge care offered to Dr. Delgado’s cosmetic plastic surgery patients, is the “Non-Surgical Center of Excellence” for those patients that are having one of the many non-invasive procedures that are now available.
These days it is possible to improve your appearance and reduce signs of aging without undergoing surgery. Subtle changes can make a big difference in how you feel about yourself. There are many patients who are not ready for surgery for reasons such as:
1. Busy schedules which do not allow downtime for recovery
2. Minimal signs of aging, not requiring surgery yet
3. Budget restrictions
4. Fear of surgery or anesthesia
Many non-surgical options that are available today have become extremely popular because of great results with little risk, downtime, side effects, and relatively affordable.
The exciting procedures available to patients are:
1. CoolSculpting is a non-surgical treatment that reduces pockets of fat mainly in the abdomen and love handles. An area of fat is placed between two cooling plates bringing intense coldness that kills the fat cells and is naturally eliminated by the body. The treatment takes about an hour per area, and the results will be evident within 2 to 3 months with clothes starting to feel loose within 2 to 3 weeks! There is minimal pain and bruising with CoolSculpting and patients are able to return to normal activities in the same day.
2. Ultherapy is the only FDA approved non-surgical treatment for lifting the skin of the face and neck. Ultherapy stimulates growth of new collagen by ultrasound waves, going 3 times deeper than any other non-surgical procedure. New collagen can continue to develop for up to 6 months. Patients have no downtime and are able return to regular activities. This is an excellent treatment for those not quite ready for a facelift or for those who have a want a refresher.
3. Fat injections or grafting is growing in popularity. A persons own fat is one of best fillers available, producing safe, long lasting, natural appearing results. It is used for rejuvenation the hands and face, filling in scars and depressions caused by liposuction, for example, gynecomastia patients that may have had too much fat removed from their chests leaving what is referred to as a “crater deformity”. Dr. Delgado now has fat banking available to his patients through AdiCyte which makes collection and banking at the time of a surgical procedure easy and convenient.
4. Botox injections improves moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows, forehead and crow’s feet. Botox is the single most popular non-surgical treatment in the United States with over six million patients treated in 2012, which is up 8% from 2011.
5. Multiple Facial Injectables come in a wide variety, each with its own advantages for a safe non-invasive way to smooth and beautify your skin. The best way to determine the best injectable for you is to have a consultation with Dr. Delgado to discuss the benefits of; Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse, Sculptra and Artefill.
6. Diolite is a laser used for the treatment of red facial vessels, age spots, skin tags and cherry angiomas. The Diolite laser can make an immediate and dramatic improvement by closing the vessels which may them vanish.
7. Photo-Facial can even out skin tone, shrink pores, treat rosacea, brown spots, broken capillaries, and spider veins with an intense pulsed light (IPL), restoring the skin’s youthful appearance.
8. Laser Hair Removal is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures performed in the United States. Hair is removed by beams of highly concentrated light designed to penetrate the hair follicles. The amount of treatments that will be needed depends on the area for removal. Popular areas of removal are; the face, underarms, legs and bikini line.
The treatments available for the “Non-Surgical Center of Excellence” continue to grow as Dr. Delgado keeps all safe, innovative procedures available to his patients. Call today for a free consultation at (415) 898-4161 or email.
July 22nd, 2011 Miguel A. Delgado Jr, MD
Many San Francisco Bay Area women have asked about the potential of breast augmentation by fat injections. Breast augmentation by use of the body’s own fat has been around since the 1980’s. But augmentation by fat grafts has multiple side effects, such as tissue scarring, calcification and oil cysts. The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) caution its members against the technique.
According to one study of 48 women who had autologous fat injections for breast enhancement between 1999 and 2009, eight of the women’s mammograms showed “clustered micro calcification”. Micro calcifications can be regarded as highly suspicious for breast cancer. Biopsies showed no presence of cancer but the necroses of the fat cells are indistinguishable from abnormalities associated with breast cancer.
The new generation of mammography, in particular digital mammography seems to be better in distinguishing cancer cells from benign ones in dense breast tissue. The method for harvesting and injection has improved greatly over the years, which may increase the survival rate of fat cells, but equally important is the skill and experience of the surgeon. But a debate continues on how long these fat cells will last. Frequently they do not survive and may be absorbed by the body or become liquid and form a cyst that can mimic or obscure breast cancer.
To have breast enlargement by fat transfer takes several sessions making for an expensive treatment and usually will only increase breast size by up to one cup. Recovery is longer than with traditional breast augmentation with saline or silicone implants. The final result will not be evident for about six months, whereas with implants about six weeks.
At this time fat grafting is an accepted procedure for facial and hand rejuvenation, and corrective breast surgery for breast defects or reconstruction. The societies (ASAPS and ASPS) do not recommend fat injections for breast augmentation until there is more clinical evidence that documents safety and efficacy.
September 27th, 2010 Miguel A. Delgado Jr, MD
Fat Injections used in conjunction with the facelift…..
A new topic in cosmetic surgery is “Facial Volumization”. This procedure utilizes a patient’s own fat to add fullness. We have realized over the years that facial aging is a loss of volume and fat in the face. Therefore, to rejuvenate the face it is not just a matter of lifting skin due to gravitational change, but it also involves restoring the fullness of the face. This greatly enhances the youthfulness of the facial appearance and for some unknown reason it greatly enhances the texture and quality of the skin. Dr. Delgado has done this technique for over eight years and follows the Sydney Coleman technique of fat injection which entails a complex preparatory process of the fat.
For some patient’s, fat injections alone may be all that is needed for rejuvenation. But for most facelift patients, the addition of fat injections may give the optimal result. The fat helps fill in deep creases that can only be softened with a facelift, such as the nasal labial fold (crease from corner of the nose to the corner of the mouth). This crease can add years to a patients look, and while a facelift will make a great improvement, some people have such deep lines there that it is not possible to “pull” enough to make a dramatic change without the patient ending up with an unnatural look. Having a “pulled” look is unacceptable to Dr. Delgado, and he has found the “Facial Volumization Procedure” has been a great solution for many of his patients. You may wonder where the fat comes from, almost everyone has a donor site where the fat can be taken and never missed. This area would be unique to each patient, when you consult with Dr. Delgado he can show you what would be best for you, if you are a candidate for this procedure. A common area is the tummy. Many patients are thrilled with the reduction of a small amount of fat in the belly and some opt to have even more than needed removed.