December 30th, 2013 Miguel A. Delgado Jr, MD
Reception at Marin County
San Francisco, California-With the same quality of concierge care offered to Dr. Delgado’s cosmetic plastic surgery patients, is the “Non-Surgical Center of Excellence” for those patients that are having one of the many non-invasive procedures that are now available.
These days it is possible to improve your appearance and reduce signs of aging without undergoing surgery. Subtle changes can make a big difference in how you feel about yourself. There are many patients who are not ready for surgery for reasons such as:
1. Busy schedules which do not allow downtime for recovery
2. Minimal signs of aging, not requiring surgery yet
3. Budget restrictions
4. Fear of surgery or anesthesia
Many non-surgical options that are available today have become extremely popular because of great results with little risk, downtime, side effects, and relatively affordable.
The exciting procedures available to patients are:
1. CoolSculpting is a non-surgical treatment that reduces pockets of fat mainly in the abdomen and love handles. An area of fat is placed between two cooling plates bringing intense coldness that kills the fat cells and is naturally eliminated by the body. The treatment takes about an hour per area, and the results will be evident within 2 to 3 months with clothes starting to feel loose within 2 to 3 weeks! There is minimal pain and bruising with CoolSculpting and patients are able to return to normal activities in the same day.
2. Ultherapy is the only FDA approved non-surgical treatment for lifting the skin of the face and neck. Ultherapy stimulates growth of new collagen by ultrasound waves, going 3 times deeper than any other non-surgical procedure. New collagen can continue to develop for up to 6 months. Patients have no downtime and are able return to regular activities. This is an excellent treatment for those not quite ready for a facelift or for those who have a want a refresher.
3. Fat injections or grafting is growing in popularity. A persons own fat is one of best fillers available, producing safe, long lasting, natural appearing results. It is used for rejuvenation the hands and face, filling in scars and depressions caused by liposuction, for example, gynecomastia patients that may have had too much fat removed from their chests leaving what is referred to as a “crater deformity”. Dr. Delgado now has fat banking available to his patients through AdiCyte which makes collection and banking at the time of a surgical procedure easy and convenient.
4. Botox injections improves moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows, forehead and crow’s feet. Botox is the single most popular non-surgical treatment in the United States with over six million patients treated in 2012, which is up 8% from 2011.
5. Multiple Facial Injectables come in a wide variety, each with its own advantages for a safe non-invasive way to smooth and beautify your skin. The best way to determine the best injectable for you is to have a consultation with Dr. Delgado to discuss the benefits of; Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse, Sculptra and Artefill.
6. Diolite is a laser used for the treatment of red facial vessels, age spots, skin tags and cherry angiomas. The Diolite laser can make an immediate and dramatic improvement by closing the vessels which may them vanish.
7. Photo-Facial can even out skin tone, shrink pores, treat rosacea, brown spots, broken capillaries, and spider veins with an intense pulsed light (IPL), restoring the skin’s youthful appearance.
8. Laser Hair Removal is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures performed in the United States. Hair is removed by beams of highly concentrated light designed to penetrate the hair follicles. The amount of treatments that will be needed depends on the area for removal. Popular areas of removal are; the face, underarms, legs and bikini line.
The treatments available for the “Non-Surgical Center of Excellence” continue to grow as Dr. Delgado keeps all safe, innovative procedures available to his patients. Call today for a free consultation at (415) 898-4161 or email.
May 15th, 2013 Miguel A. Delgado Jr, MD
San Francisco, California-
Have you heard the “buzz” about the latest skin rejuvenation procedure? Not a Facelift, but an Uplift! Ultherapy is the only FDA approved non-invasive procedure for skin lifting of the face and neck. In one 60 to 90 minute treatment, Ultherapy uses ultrasound to heat up the subcutaneous and SMAS layers which then stimulate growth of new collagen over a 2 to 3 month period. Some patient’s may see continued improvement of lax skin for up to 6 months. With no downtime, the patient is able to continue with regular activities.
The skin tightening procedure has been televised on many popular shows such as; The View, 20/20, Good Morning America and featured in many magazines such as; W Magazine, Prevention, New You, Elle, Oprah and many more!
If saggy skin on the face and/or neck has been bothering you, call Dr. Delgado’s office for a complimentary consultation at (415) 898-4161, to see if you are a candidate for Ultherapy.
November 30th, 2012 Miguel A. Delgado Jr, MD
Before and After Facelift Surgery
The pro-active rhytidectomy (face lift) patient can speed up the healing process by following a few before and after surgery recommendations.
Decide if you are at your goal weight or close to it. You do not need to lose weight prior to surgery if you are at a weight you can comfortably maintain. It is not a good idea to try to lose a significant amount of weight after surgery as you may end up with loose skin on your neck and jowls.
It is mandatory to stop smoking 2 to 4 weeks prior to surgery. Studies show that smoking increases inflammation which increases the risk of infection, cardiac arrest, heart attack and stroke. Smokers also usually suffer with a higher level of pain. You must wait 2 to 4 weeks after surgery to resume smoking. If you have managed to quit for 8 weeks, one of the best things you can do for your health and skin is never start smoking again.
If you color your hair, try to do that prior to face lift surgery or you will need to wait 4 weeks after surgery.
Eat healthy foods, lots of fruits, vegetables, fiber and protein. Drink lots of fresh water. Dr. Delgado encourages his patients to take a high quality multivitamin, both before and after surgery. Dr. Delgado has found Vitamedica to be a superior vitamin supplement that does not contain vitamin E, which must be avoided due to its blood thinning qualities.
Many Marin County patients begin a good skin care regime before surgery and continue it for life. To maintain their rejuvenated new face, they get products and maintenance skin care from the esthetician at cosmetic plastic surgery specialist, Dr. Miguel Delgado’s office at 165 Rowland Way Suite 300 Novato, CA, by calling (415) 898-4161 for an appointment.
September 16th, 2012 Miguel A. Delgado Jr, MD
Before and After Facelift Surgery without TCA Peel
Before and After Facelift Surgery with TCA Peel
Face lift surgery is an exciting improvement for San Francisco Bay Area patients for facial rejuvenation, turning the clock back many years. Surgery improves the jowls, loose neck skin, eyelids, a heavy brow, etc. but does not change the skin.
The TCA (trichloroacetic) Acid Peel is a medium to strong chemical peel and an excellent addition to facelift surgery that is applied while the patient is asleep. The peel promotes skin smoothness, vitality, improves superficial discoloration and eliminates fine wrinkles. It is a wonderful treatment for sun damaged skin, but not all patients are candidates and will require an evaluation by Dr. Delgado.
Sonoma County patients noticed for the first few days their face felt like it was sunburned, but not uncomfortable. In 3 to 4 days, the skin turns dark and in 3 to 7 days starts peeling. It is very important to follow specific directions given prior to surgery for post operative skin care to get the optimal results.
December 9th, 2011 Miguel A. Delgado Jr, MD
Skin care after a facelift is a little more complicated than less invasive cosmetic procedures because you need to treat your wounds, manage swelling, and keep up with everyday skin care for the best result.
Dr. Miguel Delgado advises his Marin County cosmetic patients that they need to minimize swelling with the regular use of ice or cold compresses, especially the first three days after surgery. To avoid an increase in swelling overnight, sleep with your head elevated above your heart.
Arnica Montana, is an herbal supplement and may help minimize bruising or discoloration. It is usually started before cosmetic surgery and taken for a few days after.
Your face will be sore after facelift surgery, but you need to cleanse your skin regularly to help with healing and avoid build-up in your pores which can lead to breakouts. Wash with mild astringent pads gently. Then apply a gentle moisturizer that is non-comedogenic (something that won’t clog the pores). The goal is to keep the area clean and moist.
It is best to avoid direct sun for the first few days after a facelift, if you go out be extra vigilant about sun protection, use a sunscreen that blocks alpha and beta sun rays. SPF 30 or 40 is good; the ones with higher SPF tend to block the pores. Wear a hat and sunglasses for further protection.
It is extremely important to keep the skin hydrated. Drink six to eight glasses of water a day to rejuvenate your skin from the inside out and flush any toxins from your system.
Once your skin is healed and you get the go ahead that you can start using makeup, use a mineral based line such as Jane Iredale. Mineral based makeup is gentler on your skin and provides excellent coverage. If you have red skin or purple bruising after your facelift, a green base will help balance those colors and give a more natural looking skin tone. For the best result, top this base with a powder about one shade darker than you usually wear.
To maximize your facelift result be sure to follow a good skin care regimen with the highest quality of products. Dr. Delgado’s esthetician Alise Hassler assists his San Francisco Bay Area patients to get on a program that is individualized for their skin type. Alise is very knowledgeable of all the products available at Dr. Delgado’s office and the store on his website. The products include; Jane Iredale makeup, Dr. Delgado’s exclusive Preferred Line, Obagi, Skinceuticals and various prescription strength skin care products.
October 11th, 2011 Miguel A. Delgado Jr, MD
Presented at the American Society of Plastic Surgeons annual meeting this September, were the promising results of ongoing clinical trials for the treatment of crow’s feet. Botulinum toxin gel, referred to at this time as RT001 is a topical gel to be applied only in a doctor’s office. It will not be available over the counter for home use as it is a drug. The gel will penetrate the skin and cause the muscles to relax thereby reducing wrinkles.
This is a very exciting development for the patient that wants the benefit of Botox but has previously shied away due to the use of needles. The application of the gel will be painless, and without bruising, as sometimes an injection can cause.
So far over 500 patients have been tested in eleven different trials with successful results. Still in clinical trials and not yet approved by the FDA, phase 11 testing is being finished and phase 111 must be completed before it goes to market. As reported in an article in the Cosmetic Surgery Times, the results seem to last as long as the injectible version.
Botox has an interesting history for different applications besides wrinkle reduction. It has been used for treatment of chronic migraines, profuse sweating, muscle spasms and more. We will keep you informed of any new developments and especially when the gel will be available